About 7 weeks ago, Mommy took me into see the Doctor about a cough I just couldn't kick. This was right after Christmas. I was really struggling to get through a night of sleep without waking up with a coughing fit. After seeing the Doctor, I had to start taking some medicine. I was put on Albuterol (as needed), Singulair, and Zyrtec. I was also put on a topic steroid to control some eczema that had developed on my checks. The Doctor told Mommy that it was probable and very possible that I was developing asthma and that these symptoms were allergy related. Asthma runs in Mommy's family and Daddy has a touch of asthma when he works out (thus, Daddy has a good excuse not to work out...) And, because I had a pretty bad case of RSV when I was around 7 months old, my chances for developing asthma were already pretty high. This information did not bode well with my Mommy.
Although the drugs were providing some relief for my coughs, the problems weren't completely going away. About 3 weeks after that appointment, Mommy had to take me back in to see the Doctor, only to find out that I had an ear infection. So, Augmentin was added to my list of medications. Two weeks after that, Mommy took me back in because my cough was getting worse. She was in for a surprise to find out that I now had a double ear infection! So Augmentin was traded out for Omnicef. The Doctor also took a listen to my lungs, checked my oxygen intake and decided that it would be beneficial to start me on Pulmicort as well. DOUBLE WHAMMY! The Doctor told Mommy she was fairly certain that the ear infections and the eczema, as well as the coughing and wheezing were in direct correlation to having allergy attacks.
So several times a day, I would have to have a breathing treatment, as well as my oral antibiotics. I've become really good at giving myself breathing treatments. I don't even need Mommy and Daddy's help anymore. Just put on a show and I'm good to go.
Needless to say, my sweet Mommy was a little overwhelmed on me being on so many medicines and the thoughts of an allergist and asthma being in my future. But after having a good freak out and cry with Daddy and Aunt Liz, she took a deep breath and decided that this was what was best for me right now to get me back to a maintenance phase.
And you know what? After only 4 days of treatment, I was feeling GREAT! Mommy and Daddy both said that they were shocked to see me acting like a happy little boy again. I was running and playing and was, well, happy! And best of all, I COULD BREATHE! As it stands now, the Doctor wants me to stay on all on my medications and then come back in a few weeks to see how the medicines are working for me. If relief isn't seen, then Mommy and Daddy are going to have to make an appointment for me to see an allergist. It's been a long couple of months to get me here, but now I'm feeling good! It's good to be back to my happy self!

1 comment:
we're glad to see that he's doing better. it's always hard to go through seeing your own child not feeling well :( hope he stays well!!
Kristi (Manion)
Post a Comment