This has been a terrible week. Not only have my plans for taking over the world been put on hold, but I've also contracted a very nasty virus called RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus)! It's just awful. It all started last Saturday when Mommy, Daddy and I packed up our things and went to visit Uncle Paul, Aunt Rae Rae, Sydney and Chase. We were really having a great time, but late into the night, I started coughing. Mommy just thought it was another cold I probably picked up from MOPS, but the next morning, I started running a temperature.
After we said goodbye to Aunt Rae Rae, Uncle P, and the cousins, Mommy and Daddy took me home and put me straight to bed. I slept for two and a half hours!!! Now, those of you that know me, KNOW I do not enjoy sleep. Normally I will have an all out battle with sleep. But on this particular day, I wasn't going to fight it at all. I was craving sleep. Mommy knew something was amiss, so first thing Monday she took me to see the Doctor.
I still was battling a fever of about 102, but the Doctor thought, eh, probably just a cold, keep giving Tylenol and Ibuprofen and if you don't see improvement by Thursday, bring him back. They even tested me for the flu, (which was a horrible experience I might add. They stuck a ginormous Q-Tip up my nose!!) but that came up negative. So back home I went for more sleep and more listless behavior.
By Wednesday night, I was miserable. My fever was up to 103.3 and Mommy and Daddy were really concerned. I wasn't sleeping well at night either. My head hurt, I was cold even though I was burning up and I didn't want to eat or drink anything. After a very rough night, Mommy called the Doctor promptly at 7:30 and scheduled a morning appointment. This was no ordinary cold. By 9:15, we were in to see the Doctor and he listened to my chest and heard I was really struggling to breathe. I was coughing a lot and my nose was like a leaky faucet. Then the Doctor said he wanted to check for something called RSV. What the heck is RSV!? I'd heard of an SUV, but surely I wasn't turning into a Suburban. Then the nurse got out the giant Q-Tip again and proceeded to stick it way up my nose. People, this is an awful experience. I think they probably were trying to dissect my brain without me knowing, but they don't have me fooled.
The nurse rushed off to check the "sample" (ewwww) they took from my brain and she then returned and hooked up this very loud device called a nebulizer. She started coming at me with a gas mask and I thought, "This is it! She's figured out that I'm trying to take over the world and she's going to snuff me out!" I fought her, I tell you. I fought hard. But in the end, I lost. Eventually the gas coming out of the nebulizer started making me feel a little better. I was beginning to breath a little easier. Shortly after the gas mask incident, the Doctor came back in to confirm that yes, I did have RSV. Bummer.
So now, here I am. Still trying to recover from this horrible cough. Mommy has to give me gas mask treatments every four hours and although I don't like it, there is an upside. I get to watch shows like Baby Einstein and Bob the Builder on TV while I take the treatments. It's probably a brainwashing tool of some kind, but honestly, right now I really don't care. I still have several days of recovery to go before I can get back to my job of taking over the world, but until then, I guess I'll settle for lots of extra attention, waking Mommy and Daddy up 3-4 times a night, and watching lots of TV!
Does she look like a little pirate?
-
Today, sweet Clara has a major black eye! We saw Dr. Beauchamp yesterday
for her post-op appointment and he said she looked good. The swelling and
bruising...
14 years ago

2 comments:
Oh, Gabriel, I am so sorry you have RSV. Try to use it to get as much candy as you can. Ice cream, too!
Hi,
So sorry our sweet little baby has RSV. Just know we are praying hard for you(and daddy)to get better!
Grama and Grampa F.
Post a Comment